Sunday, July 4, 2010

Day 27 - Hi Ho! Cherry-O


Very rarely I buy a present for my kids way in advance of a holiday or a birthday, put it away, and remember to bring it out at the appropriate holiday/birthday. A few months ago, I saw one of my old favorite board games -- Hi Ho! Cherry-O -- at the store, bought it and hid it away. After four consecutive days of rain, I felt the appropriate time to unveil that little nugget was Friday.
It occurred to me as an adult what great learning games we had as kids -- made especially great by the fact that we did not realize we were learning a thing. That's certainly the case with Hi Ho! Cherry-O. Round and round the spinner goes and the fate of your berries is revealed -- either added to or subtracted from your berry pail. And the game teaches the peril of letting wayward dogs and peckish birds -- or even gravity (spilled bucket) -- interfere with your berry picking....valuable lessons, indeed. Kate and I played it and had a blast. It even has a new twist -- a puzzle to put together. Kate turned out to be a champion berry picker and beat me 3 out of 4 games.

No comments:

Post a Comment