Sunday, July 4, 2010

Day 29 - A girl and her bike


Happy Independence Day!
Just 234 years ago, the United States of America declared its independence from the (then) tyrant Kingdom of Great Britain. We celebrate our independence today with fireworks, parades, family, friends, bar-b-cue, the singing of patriotic songs and the waving of flags. We love our country, our independence, our steadfast desire to earn our way, our opportunity to be a servant to our fellow man and country -- not by force or conscription, but by our volition. We are Americans. We are free.
And our little girl had a new taste of freedom today -- made possible by two wheels (and two training wheels).
The Sparks, some of our dearest friends, came over to help us celebrate the day. In typical fashion, at my earlier mention of wanting to get a bike for our daughter sometime soon, the Sparks showed up today with a hand-me-down bike in wonderful condition at the ready. My ecstatic daughter raced to get her shoes and got on the bike. After she got the hang of the handling and the brakes, she really had a terrific time. Her declaration on this day, "I don't want my tricycle anymore, I only want this bike!" She is on the road to being independent. Someone get me a tissue!

No comments:

Post a Comment